In my last article we talked about the importance of our human energy field being grounded or connected to the Earth. When we become ungrounded, we have no where to send stressful daily occurrences or the energy from those situations. So what happens? Well, it just cycles around in our energy fields and bodies.
Over time, that stagnant energy can accumulate and may even begin to interfere with your day-to-day lives. See, our bodies can’t talk to us like people do, so when the body has reached it limit or has an issue, it will reach out to us with physical pains, and other dis-ease. Energies we hold onto can be in the form of stored emotions we did not fully release, negative thoughts about ourselves or others, feelings of rejection or being disconnected from our family, friends and others, or if we experience a physical injury or have to undergo a surgery. Some people are highly-creative and big-thinkers who spend alot of time in their own mindscape. This is a gift and truly wonderful, but if they don’t return to center and know how to reground themselves, then they too can experience some issues over time.
Some signs that you are ungrounded and/or holding onto stagnant energy are:
- fuzzy and scattered thinking
- feeling mentally, physically, emotionally and spiritually drained
- rushing around and not being fully engaged in your daily life
- getting involved in accidents or being accident-prone
- falling, tripping or stumbling while walking
- dropping things or being clumsy
- feeling dizzy or nauseous especially in stressful environments and around stressful situations or people
- being affected by the moods and energy of those around you
Some may even develop physical pains or sensations that aren’t comfortable as the energy builds. And if you are a sensitive person, then you may be effected more then most people. Holding onto other people’s energy and your own can cause you to experience phantom pains and other dis-ease in your body. You may know there is something off or wrong but all your tests come back normal. If it is energy-related, new symptoms may occur and you seem undiagnosable. Being an empath, I have experience with this and felt sick and lost for a long time before I understood how my biofield or human energy system works.
Some reasons we may hold onto stagnant energy or allow it to build up in our systems can depend on how we cope or deal with things in our lives. It depends on how confident we are, how sensitive we are and often what triggers we carry with us, to name a few. But below are some overarching issues that may challenge any of us and cause us to become ungrounded:
- self-doubt or lack of confidence in how to move forward in a situation, relationship or in life overall
- a recent job change
- being around rude, dramatic and controlling people
- moving to a new area or home
- starting a new school
- ending or questioning a close relationship
- fear – not trusting that all is well in our lives
- learning about troubling local and worldly events
- (insert life-changing or stressful experience here)
Since I am an empath, I have learned over time some things I can do to help reground myself and clear out any of that stagnant or blocked energy that I might have accumulated. I often share this technique with clients I see at my practice but lately many people I meet have begun to discover that they too are holding onto a lot or carrying what feels like the weight of the world on their shoulders. So I thought I would share one of the techniques that helps me to remain clear and balanced.
Energy Clearing & Grounding Meditation
Try walking yourself through this energy clearing and grounding visualization to see if you notice that it helps you. I see lots of clients and lead a busy and full life so I found it to be very helpful, especially being the empath that I am. There are other techniques out there so you can try this one and then a few others until you find the one that best suits you. And you may need to try it a couple of times before you notice a change in how you feel. It all depends on how much “stuff” you having been carrying around:
- Find a quiet place inside or outdoors to sit with little to no distractions. If stressed for
time, as you learn it, you can run through this visualization in the shower or where ever you find a few moments by yourself.
- Close your eyes and picture a grounding cord connected from your 1st Chakra or Root Chakra – the area at the base of your spine (the red dot on the chakra chart). See it connecting you to the center of the Earth. It may look like a cord, tree roots, or it may look like a tunnel of light. You might see a certain color or texture. That’s totally fine – you will see what is meant for you.
- Now say outloud or to yourself, “hello” to any energy you no longer need or to other people’s energy you may have accumulated from your day. It may contain other people’s worries, judgements on you, your feelings about a stressful situation, etc. It may look like black spots, it may appear as mist or you may not see or picture anything. Picture it all leaving your body as you send it down your grounding cord. Say “good-bye” to it. Send it all down – the Earth’s core is super hot and it will just burn off what you don’t need. Empaths – you aren’t hurting the Earth by sending it there, don’t worry (wink, wink).
- Keep clearing your body / biofield – you may notice you feel tingles or shivers down your back or somewhere else on your body as you do this. You may see pictures of energy moving while you do this and others may not feel or see anything. That is all fine – everyone experiences energy in different ways. And as you repeat this process you may notice each time your experience is different.
- Once you feel you are done, picture a warm sun overhead filled with your highest and greatest good. I like to picture myself at the beach basking in the sunshine as it fills you in with love, light, your highest good, positivity meant for you, or whatever fills you up and makes you feel whole again. It may feel warm as you do this, you may feel chills as you do this. That is all good. Remain under that sunshine as long as you need to, until you feel like the process is complete.
Now if you are at work or have too many distractions around you to go through this energy learning and grounding meditation, there are a few quick things you can do to help reground and center yourself:
- Eat a piece of chocolate – this is very grounding.
- Step outside and take a walk – being outside is very grounding.
- Write down some of your feelings to “vent” then rip it up and recycle it or throw it away.
- Lay down on the floor, this can be calming and help to reground.
- Learn some stretches or yoga positions you can do to reground and center.
Try the energy clearing and grounding visualization above or some of the quick grounding techniques when you feel off or not quite like yourself. Please leave some comments below on how these tips may have helped you feel more balanced or centered again. Remember, always make time for self-care, even if for a few minutes a day, and be open to learning new ways to support yourself on your life’s journey. Namaste.
Sarah Granahan, HTP-A, RMT – has been passionate about energy healing for over 10 years. She is a Healing Touch Practitioner Apprentice and Reiki Master / Teacher. Sarah began her studies at InVision in Chicago, IL where she learned about meditation and how to provide energy work for clients. In 2013 she began advanced studies with The Healing Touch Program and went on to study Reiki. Sarah sees clients in northwest Raleigh at The Sagewood Center and now in Apex at Syeni Salon & Day Spa. She makes hospice center and hospital visits aside from booking sessions worldwide through her distance work. A humanitarian at heart, she volunteers with The Healing Touch Community Clinic monthly at WakeMed Hospital in Cary, NC.